Within a collaborative and inter-disciplinary framework, PICS supports a range of solutions-oriented research initiatives to assist British Columbia, and beyond, meet the multi-faceted climate change challenge. Current initiatives include five major policy-relevant projects (the “Big Five”) developed under Phase II of the Strategic Research Plan, plus several dozen graduate and post-doctoral fellowships and 10 employment internships each year. PICS also commissions leading edge research from academics and experts from BC and around the world.
Research results form the basis for PICS white papers, briefing notes, scholarly journal articles and book chapters, as well as public outreach events, and contributions to outside research initiatives. Primary users of this work include policy-makers, educators, the research community, media and the interested public.
Phase II projects - the PICS "Big 5" (current):
- The 2060 Project: Integrated Energy System Pathways for British Columbia and Canada
- The Scale of Natural Gas Development and Maximizing Net Social Benefits
- Transportation Futures for BC
- Energy Efficiency in the Built Environment
- The Forest Carbon Management Project