Within a collaborative and inter-disciplinary framework, the Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions supports a range of solutions-oriented research initiatives to help solve pressing climate change challenges and realize opportunities in British Columbia and beyond.
Research results form the basis for PICS engagement and events, scholarly journal articles, white papers and book chapters. Primary users of this work include policymakers, research community, industry and other community members.
Ongoing initiatives include five major policy-relevant projects known as the Big Five developed under Phase II of the Strategic Research Plan, plus several dozen graduate and postdoctoral fellowships and 10 employment internships each year. PICS also commissions leading edge research from academics and experts from BC and around the world.
Phase II projects - the PICS "Big 5" (current):
- The 2060 Project: Integrated Energy System Pathways for British Columbia and Canada
- The Scale of Natural Gas Development and Maximizing Net Social Benefits
- Transportation Futures for BC
- Energy Efficiency in the Built Environment
- The Forest Carbon Management Project
Photo credits: PICS, UNBC and Flikr